The Maverick Entrepreneur™ Series
Everyday Solutions For Any Home Business
by STC Staff Writer
Establishing a home business is a dream for many people. The lure of setting your own hours and being your own boss is very appealing, but it is important to understand the reality of managing a business from home. Read on for some great ideas to help you develop and manage your business successfully.
- Make it easy for customers and retailers to get in touch with you. Use your business website as your email address, and if you desire, add a phone number, giving it out to everyone.
This helps keep your business name out there to be seen. Place your business email address on every piece of correspondence. Include it on your business cards and stationery.
On your website, add a link to your email address on every single page to help customers contact you faster.
- Don’t forget personal income taxes. As a self-employed individual, you may be in a different tax bracket, and you may have to pay new taxes that you didn’t before.
Be aware of what taxes that you will be responsible for, and start putting money aside so that you don’t have a problem at tax time. It’s up to you to keep abreast of changes in the tax laws.
- Use utility software programs that will present your company’s ads on your website attached to an order form. Showing your ads to visitors on your site will result in a potential profit every time visitors click on them.
Each click will eventually add up to a large amount increasing your income, even if it seems slow in the beginning after placing the ads.
Limit the popup and be careful to NOT flood your pages with a huge amount of ads like many of the websites do these days. I know others sharing my attitude, that will INSTANTLY leave a webpage when they see an overwhelming amount of ads making the page cluttered to view, and even confusing.
Have you ever wanted to download software and the download page had several DOWNLOAD arrows, MOST leading to some other software? I’ve left site many times because I was tired trying to differentiate the correct download link from the bogus ones.
I would never do business with any business that feels they must TRICK their customers into buying. I am amazed at the large businesses that use this deceitful ploy to try and make sales.
I believe they are losing more sales than they get because of this ridiculous tactic.
Think about it! Would you buy a product that pops up on the page when you are expecting something else?
We live in a system where greed, deceit, hatefulness, self-interest, and apathy by the majority seem to rule. then those that are honest, concerned, caring, and empathetic sellers, can appear to almost be saintly.
- Keep track of your car’s mileage. Even though your business is based at your home, you will still need to make frequent trips to the post office, supply store, and other business related vendors.
Keeping track of every BUSINESS mile you go will quickly add up to great deductions on your taxes, allowing you to recoup some of what you would have paid in.
- Build an attractive, and easy to navigate website. The more complex it becomes the harder it will be to navigate, and the more potential buyers you will lose. Make sure all your links are working too.
- Offer a Bonus or Freebie for capturing their email. Your email list can become your most important business asset since these are your potential future customers. Once you have their email, often tied to a newsletter or “Hotsheet” subscription form, you can send periodic emails and newsletters to them having their permission to do so.
When you are first getting started, it is a good idea to offer something free to your customers. Many people do not want to invest their money into something they are not sure of, so offering them free products/services will inform them of your product quality, and customer service.
- Are you considering hiring your friends and family members for your business? This is a judgment call since good business requires the right skilled person for the job.
- And doing business with family and friends can be a major problem. Yet there are tens of thousands of family business that are operating successfully. You’ll need to wisely assess your situation and decide on this point to use them or not,
They are around anyway so it can be very convenient for all involved. Write up a job description for them, and write them a company check at each pay period. This way you can save money and you can also deduct their income as business expenses.
- Should a newspaper or online website do an article on you from an interview, be sure your website URL is emphasized and published with the article.
This can help build your online presence, credibility, and especially a traffic builder for your products, BLOG, and newsletter.
Even if they mention the name of your company, some people may not want to bother searching for it. Have them at least include the domain name so people can find you quickly and easily.
Now that you are armed with a better understanding of a few important issues involved in managing a home business, you can feel more confident about moving forward with your own creative ideas.
A successful home business can help improve your financial circumstances and help to insulate you during downturns in the economy.
Best of all, it can offer an excellent way to bring the family together to work towards common goals, and many people cherish the opportunity to be self-employed.
If you are interested in additional information as outlined in this article, need assistance in applying this information, or just want more resources, contact us for FREE (no obligation) and we will do our best to accommodate you.