The Maverick Entrepreneur™ Series
Ways to Make Your Unwanted Stuff More Saleable
Making your used items desirable to others will greatly enhance their saleability and increased their perceived value to potential buyers. Depending on how you’re selling them, you can get more interest in the items if you take your time to make them look great, show how they work, and price them right.
Today, even phone cameras can take more professional high-quality digital pictures instantly, than their earlier predecessors the dated film camera. Just be sure your items are well lit when you take your pictures. When selling small items you can purchase a complete lighting kit with a couple of small photographers tents for under $35.
If you want to get creative and make a product video, you can purchase a battery operated product display rotating display platform for under $12. These two items, with your high-quality phone camera, can make professional quality pictures, and it doesn’t take any specialized training.
The manufacturer can often provide you with pictures of your product on their website too. Here are some suggestions for preparing your items for sale:
1. Clean It Up – No one wants a dusty item that looks dirty. Clean it up the best that you can, using the right tools and cleaners. For example, if it’s a wedding dress, get it dry-cleaned and state in your ad it’s been professionally cleaned since the last time someone wore it.
2. Display It Well – If you’re selling it among other items, you want to group the item with like items to show it off. If you can show it on a person if it’s clothing, that’s great too. Pictures of someone wearing the item will show the buyer how it looks.
3. Take Great Images – If you’re selling online, you will need to learn how to take good images. If you don’t have good lighting inside, the best thing to do is take it outside in the sunlight to photograph. Take pictures of the item from different sides, highlighting the different features. Or purchase the small photographer’s tent as mentioned above. It can be a good idea to take multiple pictures giving your potential buyer better views to better entice them to buy.
4. Refurbish It – If it’s old but you want to get a really good price for it, go ahead and refurbish it so that it looks its best. If it’s a wooden coffee table with a worn finish consider sanding and refinishing it. If you specialize in selling refurbished items, you may consider providing a short-term Warranty or Guarantee to increase buyer’s value appreciation.
5. Price It Right – If you really want to sell something fast, review asking prices by other sellers, then consider keeping your price a little lower than your competitors. You may need to sell lower if your lacks important features that most of the others possess, or yours may be superior raising it’s perceived value and allowing for a higher sales price. Demand can greatly influence the pricing too.
The higher the demand, the higher the selling price you can ask. On eBay, you can look in the left column of a listing to see how many of the items you’re selling have sold under the heading “SHOW ONLY,” and under it, the subheading category “SOLD ONLY.”
6. Write a Good Description – Selling it online necessitates the need to write a very clear, and comprehensive product description. Use bullet points, keywords, and always provide an honest description of the condition, features, and flaws of the item. It’s important for people to know exactly what they’re getting, and even search engines may find your item increasing your sales potential.
How many times have you reviewed an item of interest for sale on Craigslist, Amazon, or eBay that didn’t have enough information for you to make an intelligent buying decision, so you either purchased a higher priced item from another seller or just passed it by completely?
7. Upcycle It – You can also turn something old into something new by upcycling. For example, an old wool sweater or a bunch of them can become a coat or a baby blanket. A bunch of old shirts can become a quilt, and an old entertainment center can become a child’s kitchen toy. You can even use old costume jewelry to make Christmas decorations. If you’re the creative type you may enhance the value of your items.
8. Demonstrate How It Works – If your item is electronic, a great way to sell it is to create a short video demonstrating how the item works. That way they won’t be afraid to buy it, or they’ll understand how to use it better. Maybe you can make a brief presentation video, or even present one from Youtube.
Corporations put a huge amount of capital into product packaging, brochures, and sales literature in order to increase their salability. You just have to think like your buyer and do your best to present your product in its best light. A well-written ad or auction listing will definitely give you that competitive edge for saleability.
If you are interested in additional information as outlined in this article, need assistance in applying this information, or just want more resources, contact us for FREE (no obligation) and we will do our best to accommodate you.